Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th!! Happy Shooting!

     Last fall I gave a photo class, at the local college, on shooting night photography. We explored shooting fireworks and night carnival rides to capturing the night sky with stars and star trails. What a fun class. The students were so eager to learn!
Fireworks shot with Nikon D-200 on tripod--ISO 100, F-11 or 16 at 15 sec. (C. Bemiss Photography) 
(C. Bemiss Photography)
     When shooting fireworks normally, as I taught the class, you need a tripod. Also it's best to shoot at ISO 50 to 100, at f-11 to 16, with an 8 to 15 second exposure. But as I've learned through trial and error, and as I've taught in my classes, once you know the rules it's okay sometimes to break them. Even Ansel Adams broke a few photography rules in his compositions. His "Moon over Hernandez," has the moon almost directly in the center of the frame--a no, no as far as composition goes, but it worked for this particular photo.
     Well, this past Saturday I decided to break from the norm and try hand holding my camera at a fireworks celebration at Bagnall Dam in Warsaw, Mo. It was a spectacular show, but I didn't want to drag my tripod along. The grandkids were coming along and this was supposed to more about having fun together than precise technique. So together we enjoyed the display camped out on the back bumper of my daughter's van, while the kids sat in their moon chairs.
     With experimentation, I decided to use an ISO of 400, at f-4.3 at 1/6th second exposure. To my delight the photos became almost flower-like, with some interesting abstractions and almost a deep space nebula effect.   
Hand holding my Nikon D-200 at ISO 400, f-4.3 at 1/6 sec. produced this flower-like image. (C. Bemiss Photography) 
A ring of fire created by fireworks giving an abstract look to the photo. (C. Bemiss Photography)
     This bears out the fact that once you know the rules, you should never be afraid to experiment--you might be pleasantly surprised at the end result. Enjoy your 4th of July!! If you are privileged to have fire works this year, get out your camera and enjoy the show, and enjoy time with your family and friends. Be thankful for freedom and liberty and America the Beautiful! Be creative!
Fireworks shot at 400 ISO--hand holding the camera created an otherworldly photo. (C. Bemiss Photography)










No comments:

Post a Comment