Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

It's the Smallest Gifts that Matter

     On my desk I have saucer with two blue jay feathers, two dried clover flowers, a Jesus card, a rock, dried crab apple berries, some dried leaves and a dried dandelion flower. On my piano sitting on top of a jarred candle are dried sugar maple leaves.

     You might ask what these strange items are doing hanging around? Am I a hoarder, lover of all things nature, someone who can't through things away? Well...I'm a Nana, or Nanny or Nan, a Grandmother or a Granny (a funny name my next to youngest granddaughter called me one day). And, if you've ever had children or grandchildren, you realize quickly it's the smallest gifts that matter through the course of time. Gifts given on the spur of the moment, gifts given from the heart. These very important gifts need a place of honor and a place where they can be seen. These very small gifts have a story and a heartbeat.
     Such as the two blue jay feathers that were given to me by oldest granddaughter Shi, age 11. She brought them to me after an afternoon of exploring the yard and said, "Look Nanny, I found two blue bird feathers! You can have them!" So into my collection they went. Shi loves to explore, and reminds me of myself when I was her age, I was always wanting to explore nature.
     I found the two dried clovers in my purse after my youngest granddaughter, Boo Boo age 3, went home from a visit. We had been out in the front yard looking at and watering the flowers. She apparently decided to pick some flowers for me, and make it a surprise by placing them in my purse. Little Boo Boo is wise beyond her age and is always thoughtful.
     Joe Joe, age 8, gave me the Jesus card after he'd had a particularly difficult day at school. Somehow in his heart, it was Jesus who would see him through. He said, "Here Nana, here's Jesus. Don't you love Jesus? He's good to us." The Jesus card spent many months on the refrigerator door, so we could remember Jesus's goodness, and Joe Joe's gift. This year in school, Joe Joe is excelling! We are proud!
     The rock belongs to Mae Mae, age 4, she is a lover of rocks (like her Nana), and collects them continually. She is fascinated with all the rocks in the driveway, even though to me they all look gray and uneventful, but little Mae sees the beauty in their plainness and finds them all wonderful treasures. She also gave me the crab apple berries and asked to be lift to the tree so she could pick them. Mae says she wishes she could touch the air!  
     Bespectacled Drewy, age 8, looking like a little professor with his glasses gave me the dandelion and maple leaves. With a big and tender heart he loves all things science. His most recent gift to me was a drawing of his Kiwi Bombs. A mother and father and their offspring. After he left my house, I realized he must have been learning about traits in school and this was a creative assignment meant to teach children about why they look like both their parents.

     Although, my oldest grandson Trey, age 11, lives far away I have one of his gifts a candle bought for me one Christmas. It sits, and will always sit, on my bathroom sink. Trey, now looking like a young man, loves sports and Legos, and is always happy to see us when we visit.

     In my office, I also have my closet doors covered with art created by the grandkids. There's a large plump spotted cow, an octopus, a man made from envelopes, a watermelon slice and various paintings. They are there as small gifts given in love, and they are there to remind me that childhood doesn't last forever. These smallest gifts are helping me to remember to make each day a magic day and remind me that's it's always the smallest things that really matter in life. So true, so true....
   

No comments:

Post a Comment