Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rhoda's Restaurant

     When my children were young, we used to check out "Rhoda's Restaurant," by Robert Tallon, from the library.  It was one of many favorites--such as "Cowboy Sam," and "Chilly Billy" (the little man in the fridge who turns on the light.)
     I decided to look up some of these memorable children's books and found that "Chilly Billy," by Peter Mayle is a collectible selling new for $449 on Amazon.com--seven used "Chilly Billy's" only cost $129 each. "Rhoda's Restaurant," also a collectable, on the other hand, only costs $39.95 new and $29.95 used. Goodness! I should have bought these books back in the 80's!
     My kids used to "play" Rhoda's Restaurant too. Getting out my pots and pans and canned goods, plates and forks and even some non-perishable foods. I even got into the mode by playing Rhoda herself as I cooked supper. Well this tradition has trickled down to the grandkids.
     On Monday, three of them were spending the day with me. So we played Scrabble, and Legos and then ShiAnn, the oldest, decided to play restaurant. Well, of course we needed a name for this establishment--so I suggested Rhoda's--a family tradition to say the least!
     Out came the pots and pans, plastic cookie tubs (recycled as our version of prestigious Tupperware), utensils, fancy paper plates, the tea kettle, pan spray, cheese grater and an odd assortment of other kitchen doodads. Soon we were cooking up pretend spaghetti, pizza, hot tea, biscuits and gravy and all kinds of yummy restaurant fare--Rhoda would have been proud!
     But of course, what's a restaurant without some music. ShiAnn asked me what type of music should we play--I suggested soft and elegant. On goes the T.V.-- switched to the music channel and our restaurant becomes refined. She soon got tired of elegant, and switched to a childrens's music station. Now we are listening to "This Old Man," blue grass style with banjo's and fiddles. Then "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah, strumming on the ole banjo." Amazing! We've decided this must be a dancing restaurant. Dinah blends into the "Yellow Submarine," so now we are floating around in the living room and dining room.
      Then ShiAnn ups the ante by changing to the Salsa station. "Yellow Submarine" to "La Maldaosa" by Joe Veras! No more floating, the music has become a hurricane of motion--what fun!! All this time little Merci, the preschool dancing queen has been patiently washing utensils for our "restaurant." Beeboping her curled head to the booming sounds.
     I really must purchase "Rhoda's Restaurant," we need to have that book on hand. I wonder when Robert Tallon penned that simple children's book if he ever thougth it could bring such joy. I'm sure he hoped it would!

1 comment: