Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Some Monsters are Real

     When I was a child, I was often afraid to sleep in my room at night. I was afraid of the dark and afraid that a monster was under the bed or that large bugs were crawling on my covers. Often, I would cover my head to feel safe before calling out to mom.
     This is a normal part of childhood, I guess. We've all, at some time or other, been afraid of clowns, bugs and those proverbial "monsters!" But times have changed. It seems the world has become a scary place for real, not just in our childhood imaginations.
     In the 60's, when I was going up, we could leave our windows open at night. We'd fall asleep enjoying the fresh breeze, and the night sounds of crickets and frogs. But now I would never leave my windows up at night, especially if my grandchildren are staying. If the windows are up during the day, I close them at night and I lock them. We live in a small town of around 20,000 not in a metro area, but still not too far from where I live, about a year ago, an intruder crawled through an open window and assaulted a woman.
     News reports are becoming more prevalent about children disappearing from their beds while the family is sleeping. I friend I spoke with recently said her sons are grown but she and her husband are overprotective of their small daughter--she still sleeps with them at night. They are afraid to leave her alone in her room. Afraid of the "monsters," who seem to lurk where you least expect them. Like the people you trust to watch out for your children. From family members to babysitters, daycare providers, school teachers and military personnel-- unfortunately the "monsters" hide among the good in society. Now days, as parents and grandparents we have to scrutinize everyone--it's sad to know that anyone of these "good" people who surround our children could turn out to be the boogeyman. Times have changed.
     Granted, there have always been child predators but with the rise of the internet, and the click of a mouse these "monsters" have access to a world of info, that years ago wasn't as easily available. The rise of instant news brings us the reports of these predators faster too. There are also more people who populate the Earth--as The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says we are a "global society."
     Educating our little ones on real "monsters" is helpful, although as parents and grandparents I'm not sure we'll ever be able to sleep well at night, again.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children suggests these tips for educating children:
 Knowing My Rules for Safety

I CHECK FIRST with my parents, guardians, or other trusted adults before going anywhere, helping anyone, accepting anything, or getting into a car.

I TAKE A FRIEND with me when going places or playing outside.

I TELL people "NO" if they try to touch me or hurt me. It’s OK for me to stand up for myself.

I TELL my trusted adult if anything makes me feel sad, scared, or confused.
Sometimes there are people who trick or hurt others. No one has the right to do that to you. So use these rules, and remember you are STRONG, are SMART, and have the right to be SAFE. Always

CHECK FIRST
TAKE A FRIEND
TELL PEOPLE “NO” IF THEY TRY TO TOUCH YOU OR HURT YOU
TELL AN ADULT YOU TRUST IF ANYTHING HAPPENS


No comments:

Post a Comment