Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dogs, Dirt and Part of the Pack

     I woke up at 5:00 a.m.--my head hurt, my arms hurt so by 5:30 I decided to get up, go take an Ibuprofen and try to sleep in my office on the futon until 6:00. I knew at 6:00 both greyhounds would wake up like clockwork and be ready to go outside. Prancing, dancing with their tongues hanging out in fresh faced grins! The cat, Mallory, came into the office with me --just to monitor my whereabouts. Honestly I think the cat and dogs work together.
     Soon she jumped off the futon and went into the back of the house--and then I heard the click-clack of Dottie's feet. She loves my office, and she was coming in gently, quietly to check on me. It was 5:48 a.m.....Ugh! Daylight was creeping through the blinds--sleeping was finished. Might as well face the day with my happy hounds.
     Well she gently sniffed me with a most pleased look, and of course, I couldn't just lay there and disappoint her! As I got up she wagged her tail. But, down the hall I could hear Ace laying on his fluffy bed whining--I'm guessing the cat heard Ace whining, so she went to investigate--Dottie very tired of hearing Ace cry in his bed decided to find me herself and take care of the situation! Just like a woman! For some reason it hasn't dawned on Ace that he can come find me too--he just lays there and cries.
     Anyway, I'm up early with swollen eyes (allergies I guess), the hounds eat, play in the yard, and chase and bark at squirrels and Mallory sits in the grass daring us to come get her while Roy and I have coffee on the deck. Then we all go for a 3/4-mile walk. Except the cat.
     Walking makes me remember how when we first got Dottie, last December, she wasn't fond of the grand kids, although Ace loves them to death. Over the last several months she's began to recognize them as part of our "pack." She has her special spot by a large tree in the backyard where she and Ace try digging to China everyday. She also loves to lay in the dusty hole/holes they've created. Well, yesterday Drew was using the Tonka trucks to dig and load "Dottie's" dirt. She observed him for a while then came over and curled up in her dusty-hole.  I figured she was going to be incensed and make Drew leave but no--she apparently thought he was a pup who loved to dig, and that was quite all right with her, and she wold share her dirt.
Drew is now part of Dottie's "pack!"
     Sometimes I think I should have been an animal behaviorist--I just love watching how they all interact with each other. Actually my childhood friend told me last year, that instead of me wanting to be the "kid" when we played house as children, I always wanted to be the dog or cat!! I would crawl around on my hands and knees either meowing or barking. She told me laughing, "We never could figure out what you wanted, you wouldn't speak English!" Strange...I don't remember that at all--but it fits my personality to to tee. I'm just glad they let me be part of their "pack!"

No comments:

Post a Comment